High Resolution Land Cover
This page shows the specification of data requirements and submission instructions for i-Tree to be able to use your data.
Current High Resolution Areas
|CA||Urban Areas||2012||Urban Tree Canopy Assessment|
|CT||Bridgeport||2010||Urban Tree Canopy Assessment|
|CT||Hartford||2008||Urban Tree Canopy Assessment|
|CT||New Haven||2008||Urban Tree Canopy Assessment|
|DE||All||2014||Urban Tree Canopy Assessment|
|GA||Chatham County||2013||Plan-It Geo|
|HI||Honolulu||2010||Urban Tree Canopy Assessment|
|IA||Complete State||2009||Iowa Department of Natural Resources|
|ID||Boise Area||2011||Treasure Valley Canopy Analysis|
|IL||Chicago||2010||Urban Tree Canopy Assessment|
|MA||Cambridge||2010||Urban Tree Canopy Assessment|
|MA||Chelsea||2008||Urban Tree Canopy Assessment|
|MA||Lawrence||2008||Urban Tree Canopy Assessment|
|NC||Mecklenburg County||2012||Urban Tree Canopy Assessment|
|NJ||Newark||2010||Urban Tree Canopy Assessment|
|NY||Bronx County||2010||Urban Tree Canopy Assessment|
|NY||Kings County||2010||Urban Tree Canopy Assessment|
|NY||New York County||2010||Urban Tree Canopy Assessment|
|NY||Queens County||2010||Urban Tree Canopy Assessment|
|Ny||Richmond County||2010||Urban Tree Canopy Assessment|
|NY||Sullivan County Area||2010||Urban Tree Canopy Assessment|
|OH||Cuyahoga County||2010||Urban Tree Canopy Assessment|
|PA||Allegheny County||2010||Urban Tree Canopy Assessment|
|PA||East-Central||2014||Urban Tree Canopy Assessment|
|RI||Pawtucket||2009||Urban Tree Canopy Assessment|
|VA||North-Central||2014||WorldView Solutions Inc.|
|VT||Burlington||2004||Urban Tree Canopy Assessment|
|VT||Montpelier||2009||Urban Tree Canopy Assessment|
|VT||South Burlington||2010||Urban Tree Canopy Assessment|
|WI||Urban Areas||2013||Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources|
Submitting High Resolution
All items below are required.
Contact Information - Name, organization, phone, email.
- Technical Contact Information if not same as above (ie. the dataset creator or spatial data manager).
- Metadata - Provide a basic description of your dataset. Coverage extent, who made it, when was it made, and generally how it was made (LiDAR, air photo interpretation, field measurements, etc.)
- Resolution - 10m or better
- Data Type - img, tif, grid, gdb - anything that can be loaded in ArcGIS
- Projection - Must be defined, any standard projection is acceptable.
- Pixel Type - integer
- Submit only one dataset for an area. We will not analyze or display overlapping data.
Cover Classes - Each pixel should be given a value between 0 and 9, with each value corresponding to the following cover types:
- (1) Tree Canopy
- (2) Grass/Shrub
- (3) Bare Earth
- (4) Water
- (5) Buildings
- (6) Roads
- (7) Other Paved
- (8) Agriculture
- (9) Wetland
- (0) Other (this can be used to represent any cover type that does not fit into any of the above categories)
- Data submissions must have > 90% accuracy. We reserve the right to reject any data submission that does not meet our accuracy standards. If an accuracy assessment of the data has been completed, please include this in your data submission.
- We will not process and display multiple datasets for a single location. However, a data submission may replace an existing high-resolution layer in the application if it is newer and/or more accurate. This decision will be at the discretion of the i-Tree team.
- The data does not need to include all of the cover classes defined in #8 above.
- For example, you may have only Canopy, Grass, Buildings, and Roads in your dataset.
- If you need to crosswalk or map your cover classes to fit in these classes, make note of this in the metadata.
- For example, your data may not have Buildings, Roads, and Other Paved as specified above, but you might have “Impervious”. In this case, you could match, or crosswalk, your Impervious class to Other Paved.
- High-resolution analysis data will be included for the boundary layers if there is complete or near-complete (99% or more) coverage of the polygon.
- For example, if your UTC study covers your city, but also extends slightly into an adjacent city, watershed, National Park, county, etc. we will exclude your UTC data from said adjacent city, watershed, National Park, county, etc.
Please submit data electronically or via mail to:
- Alexis Ellis
- 5 Moon Library, SUNY ESF
- Syracuse NY, 13210
- Phone: (315) 448-3208
- Email: Alexis.Ellis@davey.com
Public Domain Notice
By submitting data (including maps, map data, written materials, or any other information or materials) for use by i-Tree, you agree to and affirm the following Public Domain Notice:
All material submitted to i-Tree will be in the public domain as soon as it is posted to i-Tree and may be reproduced or copied by anyone without permission from the USDA Forest Service.
No copyright privileges are attached to any work of the federal government per 17 U.S.C. 105, including USDA Forest Service, and USDA Forest Service creative products can be used by anyone in whatever way they choose.
If you contribute to Forest Service projects, understand that those contributions will be in the public domain. USDA Forest Service will not be checking any materials submitted to USDA Forest Service for copyright or other restrictions.
USDA Forest Service assumes no liability for posting of any materials submitted to USDA Forest Service for posting on i-Tree.
DO NOT SUBMIT COPYRIGHTED MATERIAL OR ANY OTHER MATERIALS WITH ANY USAGE RESTRICTIONS OR CONSIDERATIONS THAT YOU DO NOT HAVE PERMISSION TO RELEASE INTO THE PUBLIC DOMAIN.